Sunday, October 12, 2008

Mike's Hunting Trip

"Our Hunting Trip" - - - by Michael D. Pressley


Cylee has been bugging me to put in my two cents on this blog thing, so I guess I will. Instead of writing about lame quilting parties, the newest scent of diffuser we just bought, or sharing a recipe for hot chocolate, I decided to write about something that is really important...HUNTING! Saturday, Chuck Steffens, Nathan Kennison and I made our way up to beautiful Gerlach Nevada. 4000 square miles of beautiful brown dirt, and a couple mountains of sage brush. Not the most picturesque of locations, but one full of birds. When I say birds, I don't mean parakeets, cockatoos or blue jays, I mean Chuckar, Quail, Ducks, and Geese. We had a great time! We walked about 300 miles and most of it up hill. Besides the fact that we walked so much (we could have walked home and back), it was a lovely 30 degrees out, with a nice east, southeasterly wind at about 90 miles per hour. I know this may sound like barrels of fun to you, and it certainly was, but the best part was our plentiful harvest...one duck and one goose, roughly enough to feed Morgan, if she had teeth.

Because we are guys, and we fail to think of things like bringing a camera, I decided to share with all the world some of my most prized possessions. My guns. Here are three of the many that are a lot of fun. First is a Benlli 12 ga shotgun, great for hunting birds. Second is a Winchester, 1926 model 94 30 - 30, the gun that won the west. And finally, a Ruger Super Red Hawk, 44 Magnum Alaskan, in case a grizzly bear wanders into our cul da sac. In case you don't know me too well, I love guns. Not just because of how much fun they are to shoot, but because of what they represent, and that is man's ingenuity to produce something long ago to provide food for the table and protection for his family. Not to get too political, but its the right of all men to exercise his/her second amendment right to bare arms. I love the country in which we live, and want to see it prosper in the upcoming years. With the Presidential Election coming up, I think its critical that we think about our choice of whom will represent us well and have our best interests in mind. Please get out and vote in November and let your voice be heard. Joint the NRA, and have a great day!

4 comments:

Candy said...

Mike! that was hilarious. walking so much in dirt and sage brush with lots of cold wind...reminds me of growing up! seriously. Thanks for sharing your two cents. My dad has been a member of the NRA my entire life and we fully agree with you about guns.
Next time, maybe you could share your favorite thing to eat while you're out on these big hunts. you should have RYan tell you about when he went hunting with my dad and brothers a few months after we got married. He says all he ate was like two small snickers, some dried fruit, and a piece of jerky. lol!
anyway, thanks for posting!

The Carter's said...

Im glad somebody finally blogged on here!!!! its been like a year. it was good reading though. something new. haha

Annie Jane said...

That was FUN to read. Guns, hunting, cold...still find it puzzling and amusing.

Johnshana said...

Yee Haw thats what I'm talkin about guns blazzin the smell of gunpowder and lead. Ok now that I got that out of my system Shana said this is suppose to be from both of us. Not to forget the ladies congrats on your new baby and your happy family. We are excited to see ya sometime in the not so distant future.