Thursday, April 7, 2011

Starting Seeds Indoors


I am taking gardening to a whole new level! In my quest to be frugal and prepared it makes perfect sense to try my hand at starting my own seeds indoors.

As usual, I stress myself out by thinking I have to follow everything by the book, that's why it has taken me so long to finally just "Do It"!! have been wanting to get started for a few weeks now and have finally found the motivation to get going. I am so excited to see if this will really work!

I'm starting lettuce, bell peppers, tomatoes, Shasta Daisy's and delphiniums. I am doing pretty plants too this year. We will be getting our bees next weekend and I want to pretty up the place for them.

If this works I will be so pleased! If anyone is interested here is a list of supplies and a rough cost:

- seed starter tray from Walmart ($12)
- fluorescent shop lights at Home Depot ($20)
- seed warmer from IFA ($19)
- Dowel to hold the light up from Home Depot ($2.50)
- seeds, already had
- shelving rack already had(if anyone is interested I found a great website that shows you how to build one if you don't have a shelving rack handy)

Rough total is around $55. I expect I will save way more than that by not having to buy plants at nursery's or Walmart for $4 to $5 bucks a pot! Not to mention, I won't have this start up cost next year!

2 comments:

Janie said...

Everything looks GREAT! you are getting me excited almost. :) I love Cole's note in the below post. You had to be cracking up when you read that. The garden looks great. I can't wait to see your plants come up in all that beautiful organization.

Katie said...

I can tell Janie and I are related. She stole almost word for word what I was going to say! :)
Your garden is looking great! You are getting me pumped up to start ours. We are in the middle of re-doing our flower beds and putting up a new fence to get ready for a puppy this fall.
That note Cole wrote below, cracked me up! I laughed for a minute after reading that! I can only imagine how hard you must have laughed when you found it! Thank goodness the Tooth Fairy is allowed in!
Your seed starters look wonderful. I love that you encourage us all to start something that seems intimidating! I know your garden will be a huge success! 100 strawberries! Go Cylee! I will have to stop by to have a few this summer! :)