Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Girls Have Arrived!


Our package of bees arrived yesterday! It had been delayed a week due to poor weather.

I have heard that there are upwards of 10,000 bees in a package.


I am so proud of Mike. If he didn't do it I really don't know if I could have done it on my own. He didn't act nervous, he just went to work.


I played a very small roll in getting them to there new home. I helped hold the queen box while he tried to pull the cork out. Which by the way....is no small task due to the fact that the queen bee has hundreds of attendants. Thank goodness for bee suits!

Here Mike is with our finished product: all the bees in their home! The white posts are for a fence we are going to build around them so they are protected from the crazy wind we get here.



I am so thankful I have Michael! We make a good team. We are now officially keepers of bees.

As a side note..another attack happened with the rooster this morning. This time I was all by myself when it occurred. I went out to feed and the rooster totally chased me all the way from the horses to our fence. The whole time I had a rope and was trying to fight him off. It was horrible! I don't know why I can't defend myself against him.

I came in and told Mike and he came to my aid. However, Mike is not always going to be there and I NEED to know how to handle the rooster myself. How dumb to be scared of a rooster!!

2 comments:

Janie said...

AWESOME!! I am totally creeped out just looking at the pictures! Thank you for being obedient to my request of bee keeper outfit pictures. Now we just need the other uniform pictures ;)

I am laughing so hard about the rooster. It is dumb to be scared of a rooster but I would be the exact same way.

Katie said...

I love that you guys are documenting each new addition to your farm! So fun! Love the outfits!

So sorry to be laughing at your expense, but seriously that rooster chasing you is hilarious! I can picture the entire scene. You poor thing! That is one mean bird! Good luck with him!