Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Garden Fever

I want to document the difference that just a month and a half has made on the yard. (It also helps for me to see before and after photos so I am not so impatient with the whole growing cycle!) This is the backyard beginning of June.


This little side area Michael has made into a second garden area. He built that structure for the our upside down veggies and I am very pleased that he took this eye sore and made it functional.

This is what is looks like now. It may not be much to some people but I love this area. And I can't believe what started as just another skill that I thought I needed to try has turned into a complete joy.



I love this little fence Mike built he is so handy to have around. I am hoping when I do another update of this area it will be flourishing with big beautiful plants.




I am growing strawberries, raspberries, asparagus, herbs, beans, peas, cucumbers, squash, watermelon, lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, and some corn in the other garden. We will see how year 3 at gardening goes.
There really is something to growing and working in the dirt. I don't know if you want to call it therapeutic, spiritual or just plain fun, but whatever the adjective for it is I have caught the bug. I am not very good at it yet but I want to be.
I think next year I want to make a little raised bed for the kids to have as there own. Cole's plant is the watermelon and Carson's is the parsley. Cole is liking the process and it is so fun to watch him get so excited over the plants development. He found the the beginnings of 2 watermelons on his plant and was ecstatic.


4 comments:

Lindsey said...

Wow! It looks great! All of the vegies you planted sound delicious! I wish I had tried some fruits this year. Mine is mostly squash - but there is always next year. I bet you can't wait until harvest time!

Annie Jane said...

Way to go, guys! You guys are such wonderful people, always working hard and beautifying everything you touch. Even if your garden areas don't yield the fruit you are expecting, they will at least look the part, which in itself is "therapeutic" if you ask me!

Ben said...

The garden looks great. I recently thought that gardening would be an excellent skill to have and enjoy. Well done!

Liz said...

Isaac and I were sooo impressed with your garden, when we were there. You guys have inspired us, we really are going to do it. Don't know if this year or next, but it will happen. And honestly it is because of you guys.