Saturday, September 11, 2010

Thought on 9/11



That day almost 9 years ago definitely changed me. I was 22 at the time. I was going to college and new in the gospel...life was really good. My roommate, Liz, called me that morning and woke me up and told me kind of in a panic to get up and turn on the TV. I did what she asked because her tone was different. What I saw on the news was that the first plane had hit and just minutes into watching I watched as the second plane hit. As I type this I feel the shock and sorrow of the day.

I thought, what is going on? Two planes crashing into the same building... this is not an accident. For some reason the realization that there was people out there that would kill themselves in order to kill and hurt others really grieved me.

For the next week (at least!) I was glued to the TV. I couldn't get enough of what was being said and what new information that kept coming in. I was totally obsessed.

Now nine years later I still get sad over the evil, crazies out there but more than focus on the evil in human nature I like to reflect on how people came together. All the people from all over the country that came to volunteer was amazing, all the patriotic e-mails that I got inundated with that made me feel good, all the news stories that told of brave men and women doing heroic things to help one another survive the attack. This is the side of human nature that I like to linger on.

Its my belief that there are more good, decent, human beings out there than we think. Its also my belief that this is God's promised land and that if we remember Him and remember our neighbors in times of need we will all be okay...no matter what happens!

1 comment:

Janie said...

It was not a happy Birthday for me that year. at the time it happened, Bro and Sister Ivy from the Temple Presidency here, were on a mission in Turkey and they were saying that the news in Turkey kept showing the Turkish people dancing in the street, happy that America was under attack. It scares me to think of the hatred out there. I can't fathom hating someone like that.

But you are right, there are a lot of good people out there! I wish we would band together stronger and eradicate evil!!