Thursday, November 7, 2013

Garden 2013

This past summer garden was interesting.  I think I got overwhelmed by how much we did and then kind of checked out.  Next year I will scale it back...  and stay more on top of it!!

We did finally have success with corn!  It was really good. I tried the 3 sisters planting.  Its where you plant corn, squash and beans all together.  The beans grow up the corn, the squash covers the ground and keeps in moisture..plus, the beans replace nitrogen, or something like that back in the ground, where as the corn pulls it out.  I don't get all the science behind it but it worked out really great.  (This was after a pretty good wind storm. )
I learned a very good lesson about bringing corn in the house.  I will share for those who are novice like myself, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT let the corn sit for long because worms get brought in with them. In fact, I would suggest never bringing in the corn. If I can somehow do it outside from now on I will!


This year was really good with fruit on our new trees.  The apples tasted really good!
Here we are with our bounty of pumpkins.  We had tons of them this year.  I planted 4 different kinds...we did good.  (Love those little kids there in the shot....I am one lucky momma!)

2 comments:

Janie said...

It looks like you did pretty well for checking out! Good to know about the corn. I had pretty good luck one year doing the three sisters planting.

Your apples were amazing but you tried to poison me with a worm so...

Cylee Pressley said...

I am so bummed you didn't eat it...I will have to get sneakier when I tried to feed you my polluted produce!

Why didn't we take any pictures when you guys were here? Shame on us!

Hope you are well and look forward to a catch up.