Monday, January 11, 2010

Do I Smell Gas?



So tonight has been very eventful to say the least! The picture above is a great representation of what I thought might happen (worst case scenario of course, but I go there often in my head) to my little piece of heaven.

It all began Saturday night when Mike and I were watching a show and I caught a whiff of something that smelled gas like. (Not human kind, but fuel type.) I mentioned it to Michael and of course he smelled nothing. The smelled persisted into the next day and again today. Not overpowering but at times more strong but ....it is so hard to describe a smell and how much of it you could smell. I don't want to drag this out so to the climax I'll go. I am talking to Mike tonight on the phone (yes, this did all happen when he was out of town) and I realize that the heat is not coming on and I am chilly. I go turn it up to 90 to kick it on....nothing. while I am on the phone with him the phone starts doing wierd things like someone is pushing buttons and has picked up the other phone. I go make sure the kids are in bed and not doing it and they are sleeping. I go to the other phone but it is hanging up. Creepy, I HATE that weird crap. I know lines can cross but still I hate it!

I get off the phone with him and I am thinking I don't want the kids freezing all night and I might be smelling gas. So I call the gas company to tell them I smell gas and our heater is not working. They tell me they are sending someone out. Then I call my dad and he tells me that those two things (smelling gas and furnace not working) are not a good combination and that I should take the kids out immediately and open some windows and doors. That freaks me out so I go to open up the doors and forget the alarm is set so all the alarms go off the kids wake up freaked out. I get them settled down then try to continue the conversation with my dad then the phone does its weird little beeping thing so we can't hear each other talk.

Now to some this may not be a big deal. For me I am alone, I smell gas, we have no heat, and someone is messing with my phone line all going on at once......overload for me! I am happy to report everything has worked out. Our furnace was off because some sweet little child flipped a switch and as far as a gas smell nothing was detected. So I am glad that we did not go up in flames tonight as I thought we might but disappointed because we still have no answer for the smell.

I will have to figure that out tomorrow. This post has helped me calm down and now I am ready for bed. One more thing however, I learned something very interesting. My kids are terrible in an emergency! I will have to remedy that through an emergency FHE in the very near future so when I have to wake them up in the middle of the night to come with me I am not hammered with questions and defiance in getting them to cooperate. Wow! What a night I am happy to go to bed and start over tomorrow.

7 comments:

Lindsey said...

I don't blame you for being so worried - especially after your Dad said to evacuate the place! When we first moved to Fernley there was a day or two where I could smell gas and got worried that there was a leak somewhere at our house. We called the gas company and they came and checked it out and found nothing out of the ordinary, except that big while utility truck that used to park kind of by the mailboxes. I guess there was a strong gas smell coming from it, but they said it was nothing to worry about. Sometimes I loathe the trucks that get parked in the neighborhoods of this trucker town...Anyway, I'm glad to hear that everyone is alright and I hope you detect the source of the smell soon! You are "missing" some awesome winds here today in Fernley.

Candy said...

haha, Oh Cylee! That sounds awful and like such a crazy night! I'm so sorry for you, and I hope you figure out the gas smell too. I swear I've been smelling gas at my house too! It's like I have my gas stove turned on or something...but I don't!
Hopefully you have a very UNeventful day today! Love you!

Adalia said...

What a time! I can say though maybe it was a good thing it happened like it did with no major catastrophies to help you know to educate your kids on disaster preparedness? I know we need to do the same thing, after reading your blog I am inspired to do so! Miss you guys!

Janie said...

I can't believe they didn't detect any gas! That's disturbing. Did they say that tyhe switch being turned off on the furnace could possibly make you smell gas. I'm glad everything turned out ok and you got to stay home. If you keep smelling gas don't take that lightly. Susan Herbert smelled gas for months and three visits later from the gas company they figured out that her stove was calibrated incorrectly and had been leaking gas into the house all that time and was making her sick.

Jaime said...

Hello????? You better know that you can call us at any hour and TJ would be right over, especially when Michael is out of town! Silly girl!! I'm glad all is well and now that Michael is home, you know nothing will happen. I hate it but it's so true. I would call the phone company about your phone, it wouldn't hurt!

Liz said...

Cylee, what kind of stove/oven do you have?? Because I have a gas one and sometimes I smell gas and it is just lingering from when I last used my stove/oven. Then again, now that I think about it, since I got my oven fixed, I haven't really smelled any gas. So maybe you should get it looked at. Unless it is electric... then I have no idea what you were smelling. Good luck!

Michael Pressley said...

So did you ever find out what the smell was...Im curious to know....