Friday, April 9, 2010

Thank Goodness for Guns


TOOLS FOR OUR DEFENSE LAST NIGHT

Last night at 2 am our alarm went off! It is not a faint little sound it puts out, it is an ear piercing scream. A bit dazed, Mike goes for his gun and flashlight that he keeps by his bed. I go to shut off the alarm, sure that the kids are probably freaking out at this point. We do a quick plan of where we are both going to go before we go out into the hallway. I am going to check the kids and Mike is going to do a sweep of the house. The kids were fine...a bit scared, but I tuck them back in and hurry to go find where Mike went.

To not keep anyone in suspense, all was well! But we were very puzzled what could have set it off. All the doors were still locked, all the windows were shut and the house was clear of any strangers. We should feel easy at this point but don't. We check the alarm to see where it was triggered. It was the motion down in the basement. We decide to call the cops and just be overly cautious. They come and do a sweep of outside and in.

After they had left I felt a little unprotected but then the thought occurred to me, "At least you have guns if it comes down to it. Mike could defend us." When Mike came back in the house he told me that they had found some insulation down from the ceiling in front of the sensor. What a relief.

Still it was a good emergency situation that gets you thinking of all the what ifs. I am thankful for our right to bear arms. It levels the playing field and makes you not feel so dependent on someone else to take care of you. What if it was a break in and the police didn't get there in time? I am glad we are prepared in this area it makes you not feel as vulnerable in these times.

2 comments:

Janie said...

That's a lot of excitement for one night!! I would have been freaking out! I can't believe you didn't call to tell me this one. I can't believe you had the police out at your house. CRAZY! I'm glad all is well and no one got you :) I hope you sleep well tonight with no fake break ins.

Adalia said...

Oh my gosh I would have been freaking out too! Good call though.
Glad you guys are safe!