Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Hello Chore Packs!


I love a new year! Its fresh and you can start new things. So one of the new programs around the house for the kids is there chore packs!

This is a system I found a year ago. I bought the book and haven't implemented it until now. To be honest this is our 2nd day of doing it and so far so good!

The kids love it and I think it makes them feel grown up. We have been doing morning chores for awhile before they go to school but now I don't have to ride them like I have done in the past.

So the system is this: you make chores for them in the morning and in the evening and label them in a way that the kids can understand. This is some of Carson's and we used pictures because he is not reading just yet. You laminate the cards and stick it into a little plastic pocket deal that you attach on to them.

You then train them in the proper way to accomplish a job and when that job is complete they take there card from the front and place it in the back.

When they have accomplished all of their chores they return the pack to me and we go back and look at how well they did. They have the satisfaction of feeling like they are contributing and I have the satisfaction of knowing that I am actually teaching my kids how to take care of themselves and contribute. Plus, I am a sucker for these kinds of little things that make the daily grim of living a little more like a game or a challenge.

So hopefully this little device will help me help the kids to be responsible. Carson, was so cute yesterday when we were going through some of his chores he said, "Mom, I'm like your slave hu?" I laughed and tried to explain that no he was not my slave but he was my big boy and was helping the family live in a nice clean house. I am sure I will get some kick back from this but I am going to stick with this... it feels right for us.

2 comments:

Janie said...

I like it! I still want you to post pictures of the pack. I am not quite able to visualize the sticking to them and them moving it to the back. I need to get started on something like this. You go Cylee.

Katie said...

I don't know...he looks like a slave to me! :)JK!
What a great idea!

I can't believe how big Carson has become! He was so little when I last saw him. Time goes by way to fast!