Friday, June 10, 2011

Beginning 4-H

I have wanted to get the boys involved in 4-H for some time and the opportunity finally presented itself a few months back. We were asked if we would like to join a 4-H group with three other families and we happily agreed. I love that the kids will be exposed to different projects, and I also love the fact that I am accountable to a group, which helps me stay focused!


Our first project was putting together the Mel Bartholmuel's (spelling I'm sure is wrong on that last name) square foot garden. So here the kids are making the mixture for the "perfect" soil.
Here the boys are home and planting their own seeds into there little gardens. Of course Cole is not happy but Carson seemed to really enjoy what he was doing.

It will be nothing less than a miracle if anything grows in those things, due to the high winds we had for the next two days after planting. Not to mention that the boys like to water log the things when they get the sprayer on. I have to tell myself, "Not my project but theirs constantly".

This should be a really great family activity and I look forward to posting more about this. Earlier this week we made our own worm composters so will have to post picture of that!

1 comment:

Janie said...

That is great, and a wonderful learning opportunity for them and you. I love Cole's grumpy face. I miss his hair though, it makes him look sweeter. I feel the same about Mike too, but no one ever listens to me. :( Boo-who, poor Janie)