Thursday, November 3, 2011

Conference

General Conference
 I had the kiddos by myself that day and really hoped that I could make it a special, spiritual, experience for us all to listen to the prophet.  I want more than anything for the kids to really gain a testimony of Heavenly Father and what his plan is for us down here.  So I thought by making them conference books, bribing with candy, building our own "tent", and getting a special breakfast prepared this would equal their cooperation and attentive listening during conference.  How do you think that went??

As expected.....down in flames!   I really need to be more realistic and plan more strategically if I want them to gain the objective (a testimony). 

Lesson's Learned
 Lesson #1:   do not give candy to small children and expect them to sit, color, and play nice with each other. 

Lesson #2:  I can not expect the Spirit to be there if I am threatening them within an inch of their life!

Lesson #3:  Bring down my expectations by 1000% and maybe I won't be so disappointed if it doesn't go my way. 

Lesson #4:  I cannot control the Spirit and when He wants to show....so I need to just do my best to create the enviroment (working with the people and things around me) that would be conducive for a special experience to happen.

Besides all that, I got what I could out of conference with the attitude I had.  I started out strong..failed in the middle and ended strong.   However, the Lord still saw fit to give me answers to some questions I had going into conference.   A few days later in my personal study I felt the answers come and then was just filled with such gratidue that he would even bother with me after my "little explosion" over the weekend. 

My testimony is strengthed on the fact that we all have the most loving, most forgiving, and most gracious God!  He is really there to teach us and help us if we will let Him.  I love him and believe with everything in me as long as I keep picking myself up and really trying, I will be with Him again someday.

2 comments:

Candy said...

you crack me up and you are an awesome mom!

Jaime said...

Baby steps girl...just remember that they are young and the time will come when they will WANT to sit and listen to Conference with you. You are great to have them sit and color. I'm certain they know the importance of listening to the Prophet. It just hard for them to let you see that.