Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Wanna Be Farm People

I love the idea of having animals that can produce and make it possible for us to be as self reliant as we can. Knowing you had some chickens right out back for fresh eggs or some cows that have been raised by you so you know what they have been eating. For some strange reason this sounds ideal to me. However, I was not planning on getting animals that did not contribute to our overall preparedness plan.

So when Mike sent me pictures of these adorable, little, dwarf Nigerian goats it was hard to resist. In order to justify getting them I ask, "Do they produce anything useful?"

"Yes, if you want to milk them!" I want to be prepared and all but I am not ready to take that ginormous step yet.

So in about a week and half we will be goat owners. I never in a million years would have thought I would own goats. But look at how cute they are. Could you resist?


I'm sure we have no idea what we are getting into but it will be fun to try and figure it out. Plus, the kids will LOVE them. And, here are all my justifications, this is a good practice animal. They are small, don't eat a lot, and we need our grass eaten down out back anyway. Hopefully, this will be a positive animal experience.

5 comments:

Katie said...

I am SO jealous!!! Those goats look adorable! Enjoy!

Miss you lots!

Brya said...

My parents had these goats after I moved out. They loved them, and they ARE adroable!

summer said...

HA ha! It sound slike an adventure...what will you come up with next! I love your enthusiasm...it is sorely missed around here!!

Erica said...

Well....I knew this day would come..you have been living out in the country to long now..you are one of THOSE people...lol..just kidding..I am happy for your new goats..and that is very hard for me to say, seeing as I am not an animal person..:)

xoxoxoxo
e.

Jaime said...

I could have said "NO" quite easy. What's wrong with you Cy? I know the kids will love them and hopefully it will be a good thing. You'll have to call my sister in TX if you have any questions, she IS the "Goat Lady"!